A Corgi enjoying a spring day
Spring is finally here, and that means you and your pet may be spending more time outdoors with the spring flowers! While many plants and flowers are safe for pets, it’s important to know which varieties are harmful, even deadly, to your valued family member. Here is a short list of some plants that are toxic to dogs and/or cats. For a more complete list, visit the ASPCA’s Pet Poison web page.
Ingestion of the azalea leaves can cause oral irritation, vomiting and diarrhea. In severe cases, a drop in blood pressure can lead to coma and death.
There are several types of lilies that are deadly to cats. The Lilium and Hemerocallis species, which are often called Tiger Lily, Day Lily and Asiatic Lily, are quite toxic and can cause severe kidney failure. Other common types of lilies such as the Peace, Peruvian and Calla lily are not considered toxic, but may cause mild stomach upset or drooling.
Symptoms of lily poisoning might be vomiting, loss of appetite, weakness, lethargy, excessive thirst or urination and a racing or irregular pulse.
The entire daffodil plant is considered poisonous to dogs, but the bulbs are especially toxic.
A common houseplant, the dieffenbachia causes oral irritation, vomiting, and difficulty swallowing in dogs.
Other common toxic plants you may have around your house: Tulip, Kalanchoe (also known as the Mother-In-Law plant), Sago Palm, Cyclamen, and Amaryllis.
If you think your pet may have ingested or come into contact with something poisonous, call your veterinarian immediately or the ASPCA’s 24-hour emergency poison hotline at 1-888-426-4435. The sooner you get help for your pet, the better!
This article is brought to you by Squeaky Toy Pet Services, LLC, your full-service pet sitting and dog walking provider. Squeaky Toy Pet Services offers service to Blue Springs, Lee’s Summit, Grain Valley, Lone Jack, Missouri, and the surrounding eastern Jackson County areas. Visit our website or call us at 816-846-0611 to learn how we can provide professional, loving care for your pet!