Is Fido or Fluffy sick? Here’s how to care for them so everyone comes out happy.
- Always follow directions from your vet. Only give food or medications to your pet that have been approved beforehand.
- Look for support. A pet sitter is a great option to allow you time to do what you need to do knowing that your pet is well cared for. Friends and family can also step in and nurse your pet if you need to go to work or run errands.
- Take a moment for yourself. We know this can be hard to do when you’re worried about your pet. How could you even think about walking away when they need your love and attention? But taking some “me” time will really help you relieve tension and keep you feeling refreshed. Read a few chapters in a book, watch a TV show, make some soup, or play a video game. It’s up to you.
- Be careful when it comes to exercise and play time. Like humans, animals must rest when they’re sick. Don’t take them to the dog park for an hour-long running session. Don’t expect or force them to be up for rigorous play.
- Keep your pet inside. Leaving them out in the cold or heat is dangerous and could make things worse. A local troublemaker may also take advantage of your pet when they’re in a vulnerable state, so it’s better for them to stay where you can see them and monitor their symptoms. Don’t put them in the garage or basement.
- With the above in mind, give them a safe, comfortable place to rest, whether it’s their doggie bed in your bedroom or a corner in the kitchen. Sheets, blankets, and other cushioning should be changed out and cleaned often. Try to pick a spot with flooring that can be wiped down easily if they vomit or relieve themselves.
This article is brought to you by Squeaky Toy Pet Services, LLC, your full-service pet sitting and dog walking provider. Squeaky Toy Pet Services offers service to Blue Springs, Lee’s Summit, Grain Valley, Lone Jack, Missouri, and the surrounding eastern Jackson County areas. Visit our website or call us at 816-846-0611 to learn how we can provide professional, loving care for your pet!