Thinking about adding an adorable piglet to your family? Better keep these things in mind.
- There is no such thing as a teacup pig. Piglets grow – that is a given. If you don’t think you will have room for your pig later down the line, don’t get one.
- They need a special diet. Some people think pigs can eat just about anything, from dog food to banana peels to month-old pastries. Never treat them like a personal garbage disposal! Stick to what your vet recommends, keeping their age, size, and activity level in mind. If you’re not sure about something, don’t be afraid to ask questions.
- Obesity is a very real issue. No matter how much your pet might beg for food, don’t give in. Pigs are notorious for acting hungry, even when they have had enough to eat.
- They like stimulation, and lots of it. People who spend most of their day away from home should probably not adopt a pig. Pigs love their owners and need to interact with them. They also need ample room to move around and explore. Don’t treat your pet like a bird and keep them locked up all the time.
- Owning one might be illegal. It varies from county to county and state to state so do your homework before you adopt.
- Finding a qualified vet can be difficult. When your pig falls ill, or you find yourself in an emergency situation, you might have trouble locating someone who can help you. If you do manage to contact someone with the necessary experience, they could charge inordinate amounts of money for care, sending you into financial freefall.
- Pigs can be troublemakers. Just like dogs and cats, pigs can be quite naughty, especially when they don’t get what they want.
This article is brought to you by Squeaky Toy Pet Services, LLC, your full-service pet sitting and dog walking provider. Squeaky Toy Pet Services offers service to Blue Springs, Lee’s Summit, Grain Valley, Lone Jack, Missouri, and the surrounding eastern Jackson County areas. Visit our website or call us at 816-846-0611 to learn how we can provide professional, loving care for your pet!